The sister islands of Gozo and Comino are spectacular places to visit while you are in Malta. Whether you want to dedicate an entire day or half a day to one of these islands, you will fall in love with the beautiful landscape found here.
Gozo is famous for its Baroque churches and old farmhouses found in the countryside. It is one of the best dive sites in the Mediterranean and is waiting to be explored. Therefore, if you are looking forward to one peaceful and relaxing day, Gozo is the place to visit. You will be impressed by the island’s splendid coastline and its beautiful red sandy beaches. If you want to obtain a spectacular view, these are some of the places you must see:
- the impressive Azure Window – located next to Dwejra Bay, the Azure Window is formed out of the oldest rock found in the Maltese Islands
- the Ggantija Temples are more than 5500 years old and they are older than the pyramids of Egypt
- Xlendi Bay
- Dwejra Cliffs
- the splendid valley of Wied il-Ghasri is an extraordinary place for country walks. You will be impressed by the beautiful view of the sea between the imposing cliffs
Another place that is of great importance is Victoria, also known as Rabat. It is in the heart of the island and is a fortified citadel – smaller in size than the city of Mdina in Malta. It is the capital city of Gozo and is known for its narrow streets and cultural life.
If you love swimming, diving, or any other water sport, then Comino is the perfect island for your adventures. The island is situated between Malta and Gozo and is famous for the clear waters of Blue Lagoon. This tiny island has one hotel and there are only a handful of people living here. Comino is a peaceful place since there are no cars or urban areas. It is definitely a heavenly place to visit. The beauty of the island and its surroundings will forever remain in your heart. Explore the island’s turquoise waters and choose one of these numerous activities:
- swimming, snorkelling, or scuba diving
- exploring the coastline by boat
- walking and enjoying the area while taking unique photographs
Therefore, if you choose to spend your vacation only in Malta, you should definitely consider visiting these two spectacular islands. You will not regret doing so.